I was wearing this outfit today to a grocery store when I made a baby smile. I was wearing this outfit today when I threw my head back and laughed, when I sang in the car with my family, when I filled it with yummy food to keep it healthy.
I was wearing this outfit today to a grocery store when I overheard a woman telling her young daughter who was pointing and laughing that I would get what’s coming to me. I was wearing this outfit today when a woman told a man that it was the wrong kind of attention and that I was asking for someone to get me. I was wearing this outfit today when the same man stared at my body longingly and then agreed with the woman that I was asking for an attack.
I was not wearing this outfit when I was raped. I was wearing a size XXL hoodie and a pair of my mom’s sweatpants, much to the shock of the friend I told after, who asked what she’d been taught to ask: “What were you wearing?”. I feel so terrible for the little girl whose mother was teaching her at the grocery store that she deserved to be assaulted if she dressed comfortably for the weather, which was climbing above 80 degrees, or for an injury, which called for a brace and a boot that doesn’t allow room for long pants, or for her body, because it’s hers and she can put on it what she damn well pleases. I feel terrible for the man who will look me up and down as though I was a 5 for $20 steak deal he might purchase and will immediately after speak to a presumable stranger about the violent fate I deserved. I feel terrible for the woman with fabulous hair who feels she can express herself but refuses to let me do the same.
Summer is coming up. It’s hot outside. I have an injured ankle, and a tight boot and brace to wear on one leg. I will not dress uncomfortably to protect complete strangers who are so offended by an expanse of skin that they console themselves by predicting my next rape.
Stop perpetuating slut-shaming and thus perpetuating a culture of excused rape. Stop perpetuating slut-shaming and thus perpetuating a culture of insecurity, inherent shame, and body image distortion which can cause an innumerable amount of incredibly dark issues nearly impossible to overcome.
My body is mine, and I love it. It is the house I live in, with which I will someday create a family, with which I run and dance and hold the strong lungs I use to sing. I refuse to be ashamed of it for any reason, especially the reason being that this culture which glorifies sex and punishes those who have it, which encourages being sexy and then preaches that sexy girls ask for attack, has taught its people that my stomach is a sin.
Please think twice this summer before you choose to say anything at all to or about anyone who wears something they choose to wear. Please think twice before you say that a girl deserves to be raped for wearing shorts. Please try and catch yourself when you think things like that. Please be courteous and gentle and loving, and spend your effort tackling real problems. My stomach and legs are not a real problem.
This. Spread this like wild fire.
via: dollllparts , source: looksomewhereelse
- skye-cameron likes this
- themorningache likes this
- heyiluvonedirection reblogged this from looksomewhereelse
- sinisterseclusion likes this
- steepness likes this
- greyblankie reblogged this from letstalkaboutrape
- t3ss3r-act reblogged this from effystonemstyle
- thebluefoxisendangered likes this
- gothgleek reblogged this from helpstopslutshaming
- gothgleek likes this
- onomatopoeiasfightcrime reblogged this from blogfrenzy
- xvoyage34x reblogged this from misandry-mermaid
- xvoyage34x likes this
- facesinthemirrorstuff likes this
- jokuun likes this
- xsdmfx likes this
- daniellerenee96 reblogged this from looksomewhereelse
- im-not-lost-sweetie reblogged this from emiigurl
- ravenclawpride14 reblogged this from princess-avocado
- ravenclawpride14 likes this
- emiigurl reblogged this from princess-avocado
- princess-avocado reblogged this from luhvably
- superrnovaaa reblogged this from whitelephant
- otaku21-love reblogged this from promoted
- otaku21-love likes this
- beautysdarkside likes this
- iam-superwhopotter-locked reblogged this from telapathetic
- the-echo-of-her-kiss reblogged this from imamixed
- snapesforeskin likes this
- imamixed reblogged this from whitelephant
- imamixed likes this
- tigredepaper likes this
- whitelephant reblogged this from noralinee
- clearocean1 reblogged this from mosteeee
- mosteeee reblogged this from budwifeee
- dreaming-of-re4lity reblogged this from fearrs
- uncovertheradiance reblogged this from flawlessackles
- vincentab likes this
- dandybalderdash reblogged this from papierwolken
- dandybalderdash likes this
- nativerve reblogged this from basiumm
- basiumm reblogged this from mundf
- basiumm likes this
- thingsiwanttolookat reblogged this from extremelyy-blessedd
- midways likes this
- extremelyy-blessedd reblogged this from soleilnoire
- california-inferno likes this
- nightmare-issues likes this
- soleilnoire reblogged this from looksomewhereelse
- bezarestiannaaa likes this